Chlorine is a commonly used chemical to disinfect water and kill harmful bacteria and viruses. While it is generally safe to drink water that has been treated with chlorine, there are potential health effects that can occur if the water contains high levels of chlorine.
Some potential health effects of chlorine in water include:
- Skin irritation: Chlorine can cause skin irritation, especially if you have sensitive skin or eczema.
- Respiratory issues: Breathing in chlorine fumes or drinking water with high levels of chlorine can cause respiratory issues such as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to chlorine and may experience symptoms such as skin rash, hives, and difficulty breathing.
- Gastrointestinal issues: Drinking water with high levels of chlorine can cause gastrointestinal issues such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Cancer: Long-term exposure to high levels of chlorine has been linked to an increased risk of cancer, particularly bladder and rectal cancer.
- Immune System: Long-term exposure to chlorine in water may also weaken the immune system, making people more susceptible to infections and diseases.
It is important to ensure that the water you are drinking is treated with the appropriate amount of chlorine to kill harmful bacteria and viruses while also minimizing any potential health risks.
However, if you are concerned about the levels of chlorine in your drinking water, you can use a water filter to remove chlorine and other contaminants.
How do you remove chlorine from water?
Chlorine can be removed from water through various methods, including:
- Carbon filtration: Carbon filtration uses activated carbon to absorb and trap chlorine molecules as water passes through it.
- Reverse osmosis: Reverse osmosis uses a semipermeable membrane to filter out contaminants, including chlorine.
- Distillation: Distillation involves boiling water to create steam, which is then cooled and condensed back into the water. This process removes chlorine and other contaminants.
- Activated alumina filtration: Activated alumina is a porous material that absorbs and removes chlorine from water.
- Ultraviolet light: UV light can break down chlorine molecules and neutralize them, making them less harmful.
- Chlorine dioxide: Chlorine dioxide is a chemical that can be used to neutralize chlorine in the water.
It is important to note that each method is effective for removing chlorine from water to varying degrees, and some may be more effective for certain levels of chlorine contamination. Consult with a water treatment specialist to determine the best method for your specific needs.
What is an automatic chlorine water filtration system?
A whole-home automatic chlorine water filtration system is a device that is installed on the main water line of a home and is designed to remove chlorine from the water supply.
This system is typically installed by a professional plumber and is designed to work automatically, meaning that it does not require any manual intervention or maintenance.
The system works by passing the water through a series of filters, which remove the chlorine and other contaminants from the water. The filtered water is then sent back into the home’s water supply, providing clean, safe drinking water for all of the home’s occupants.
Whole home automatic chlorine water filtration systems are an effective way to ensure that the water in a home is safe and free from harmful contaminants.
Why is it beneficial to remove chlorine from water?
- Improved taste and odor: Chlorine is often added to water to kill bacteria and viruses, but it can also give water a strong, unpleasant smell and taste. Removing chlorine can improve the overall taste and smell of the water.
- Better for the environment: Chlorine can be toxic to aquatic life and can contribute to the formation of harmful byproducts such as trihalomethanes (THMs) when it reacts with organic matter in the water. Removing chlorine can help reduce the negative impact on the environment.
- Reduced risk of health problems: Chlorine can be irritating to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system and may increase the risk of certain health problems such as asthma and cancer. Removing chlorine from water can reduce these health risks.
- Better for sensitive populations: Some people may be more sensitive to the effects of chlorine, such as young children, the elderly, and people with certain medical conditions. Removing chlorine from water can help reduce the risk of adverse effects for these groups.
- Improved water quality: Removing chlorine from water can improve the overall quality of the water, making it safer and more pleasant to drink.
How does chlorine filtration using activated carbon work?
Carbon filtration works to remove chlorine by using activated carbon to absorb the chlorine molecules. Activated carbon is a form of carbon that has been treated with oxygen to create a porous surface with a large surface area.
This allows it to effectively absorb and trap impurities, including chlorine, as water passes through it.
In a carbon filtration system, water is passed through a bed of activated carbon, where the chlorine molecules are trapped and removed from the water. The water is then passed through a series of additional filters, such as sediment filters or UV light, to further purify it.
Carbon filtration is an effective method for removing chlorine from water, as well as other contaminants such as pesticides, herbicides, and industrial chemicals. It is commonly used in water purification systems for both home and commercial use.
Why work with a local water treatment company in Nashville, TN?
There are several reasons why it may be beneficial to work with a local water treatment company rather than buying water treatment products online:
Expert advice: A local water treatment company will have trained professionals who can assess your specific water treatment needs and recommend the best solution for your home or business.
Personalized service: A local company can provide personalized service and attention to your specific needs and concerns rather than just selling you a generic product.
Convenience: Working with a local company allows you to easily communicate with them and receive prompt service if any issues arise.
Trustworthiness: Working with a local company allows you to build trust and establish a relationship with the professionals who are working on your water treatment needs.
Support the local economy: Choosing to work with a local company helps to support small businesses and the local economy.
It is important to do thorough research and consider all options before making a decision about your water treatment needs. Both online and local companies may have their own pros and cons, and it is important to weigh all options and choose the best solution for your specific needs.
Why work with Pure Southern Water?
Pure Southern Water is equipped to handle almost any water quality need. We sell many types of equipment to soften, remove iron or odors, or purify your water.
If you are wondering about the quality of your groundwater, we can test that too. We have many years of experience and are well-trained to repair your water treatment system.
We are happy to repair systems of unknown origin and from dealers no longer in business. In addition to the valuable experience gained from years serving the Nashville and Clarksville areas, we are always learning more and offering new products and services to keep up with the latest in the water quality industry.
Which system do you recommend to remove the chlorine taste from the water?
Our CareClear® Pro water filters provide a perfect filtration solution for city water or well water. These filters eliminate chlorine tastes and odor and remove uncommon particles from your home’s water. You can rest assured with a filter that provides the water your home deserves.
It is an automatic filter, so you don’t have to change any filters regularly, as it backwashes itself to clean the media inside the tank.
We also offer carbon filters in 4 x 10 and 4 x 20 sizes that will need to be changed on a more regular basis.
Rember, chlorine is a common disinfectant used in water treatment plants to make sure that the water is safe to drink. The smell of chlorine in your water is usually not a cause for concern, and it is not harmful to drink water with a slight chlorine smell. However, if the smell of chlorine is powerful, it could signify that there is too much chlorine in your water. If you are concerned about the smell of chlorine in your water, you can try using a water filter to remove the chlorine, or you can contact your local water utility to ask about the chlorine levels in your water.
To learn more about removing chlorine taste and smell from your water, give our team a call or fill out a form.
We’ll get back to you right away and provide ideas and pricing to match your goals and your budget.